Friday, March 9, 2007

Police Dept. Short handed?

While reading the recent news about ex officer Fitters I discovered the Evansville Police Dept at full staffing employs 8 full time employees and 7 part time employees. That seems like a lot of cops for a city of 5000 people. For arguments sake I took the liberty of writing a work schedule. Now I can’t imagine we need any more than 2 officers on at a time but I put 3 officers on both Friday and Saturday nights. You know the routine unruly bar patrons, drinking and driving, busting up underage drinking parties, curfew violators, etc.

Here’s the Schedule:

I put this together in about 5 min. As you can see I am using only the 7 FT officers currently on staff plus the one FT officer on light duty. What does a cop on light duty do all day?

I have all of the shifts covered with a 1 full timer on a week’s vacation and another with 2 days. All of the part timers are on 24 hours a week as 32 hours is considered full time in most occupations. I realize that they will occasionally have court dates set up that can easily be accomplished by jogging a couple part timers around and cutting hours the next week. You will also not have 2 officers on vacation in the same week and the one on light duty won’t be there forever.

So this begs the question. Do we need 8 full time police officers on our force? I believe Fitters made around a $52,000.00 salary and a package of around $67,000.00 when you add in benefits.

Don’t get me wrong I enjoy living in a safe community. One where I don’t feel I have to lock my front door to go to my neighbors house, where I can leave my car running while I run in for a cup of coffee or not lock it when it’s sitting in my driveway in the middle of the day.

I’m just wondering if we really need 15 officers on our Police Dept. Payroll.

If anyone has more insight on the way their schedule is set up please post.

What do you think?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right on with this. We are plenty staffed. We are a small town, with small infractions for crime.( ok, with the exception of arson but I don't believe they are handeling that anyway.) What gets me is they can have 3 people on duty and trying to get someone to return a phone call is week long project.

Anonymous said...

You forgot about the administrative tasks that take officers off the street so more which more officers are required to be on duty at any given time. (i.e. make apple pie everclear, court 16 year old girl, but be careful to not have sex w/ her yet, go have sex w/ 18 year old girl that I started setting up two years ago, etc., etc.)

Jim

Anonymous said...

Time for a new post.

Anonymous said...

NEW POST
NEW POST
NEW POST
AHHH, THE PRESSURES OF STARTING A BLOG!

slammer said...

I think Jeff is short handed

Anonymous said...

At least he does not over staff like some administrations I can think of.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if jeff received a call from chief Mcelroy. I know someone else who HAD a blog, and when fitters got into trouble regarding the young girl, he received a call from Mcelroy regarding it. He did not say don't print that but he was def. defensive.

Anonymous said...

I sold Jeff a case of apple pie everclear, I suspect he has been too loaded to post!

Jim

Anonymous said...

I suspect the last anon is correct. Clarice, God rest her soule, said the same thing -- that the head of our PD had made a visit to her and asked her to withdraw a post she had made.

Also haven't heard anything from hiding under the water -- think he drowned --- or maybe he had a visit too. Hey maybe he drowned in that Apple Pie Everclear?


Officer Dangle you are too hot. Love those shorts.

Anonymous said...

whoops, wrong blog refernce, it was actually evansvillewisconsinmyhometown that we havent heard from

perhaps he got kicked out of town

Uncle Smitty said...

Hiding under the water don't do politics. But he does do apple pie everclear! Weeehaw.