Thursday, January 24, 2008

Apathy in Evansville?

With the elections coming up on us quickly I thought I'd make a point. This isn't breaking news by any means but it still surprises me.

District 1 Mason Braunschweig Running unopposed

District 2 Janis Ringhand Running unopposed (Fred is not seeking reelection)

District 3 Tony Wyse Incumbent
Karen Aikman

District 4 John Sorenson Running unopposed

Mayor Sandy Decker Running unopposed


We hear so much complaining about the current council and Mayor................
They spend too much money!
How dare they put a bar in my neighborhood.
They are going to push Lake Leota through without a referendum.
The taxes are going to push us out of our homes.

Looking at the fact that only one race has any real meaning. (barring a write in campaign) One would believe that there wouldn't be much to complain about.

But you do............

Where are the complainers from District 4? No one has run against an Alder in your district for years. (Wayne Steinlyn ran but withdrew from the race 2 years ago)

What about District 2? With all the problems you've had this past year I would have thought you'd have someone running from South Sixth St.

District 1? I have not heard a lot of complaining out of this bunch and I personally am happy with my representation.

Now District 3 is where the fun is. You have former Alder and candidate for Mayor Karen Aikman looking to get back in after a 2 year absence. More on this in a later post.

I would love to see all districts in a race. It would bring out more ideas and certainly give us bloggers something to write about.

Why don't more people run? Simple. It's much easier to sit back behind a computer and bitch.
It takes hard work, dedication and thick skin. I think the thick skin part is the hardest for people to take.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who cares?

Anonymous said...

I think we all have found we can accomplish as much if not more by NOT running. When someone runs they tend to come under a ton of pressure to vote a certain way.

I think the citizens of Evansville have learned are learning, to use their voice.

To get the word out when something funky is going down at city hall.

such as the last proposed failed ordinance. IT was the citizens that made the difference.

I am sure you heard fred, he felt handcuffed.

well he should. he represents us, not mayor sandy decker.

Anonymous said...

steinlein bailed could not take the heat and he was not even in office yet.