Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"Former City Administrator"Bill Connors whines again



Click here to see the Observer article.

All this guy does is whine. You'd think he created hundreds of jobs and a new thriving business park with his constant rants. Blah, Blah, Blah!

Let's really think about this. I think we can all collectively agree our taxes are high. That being said this is a brilliant ordinance.

The City of Evansville has seen a tremendous amount of growth, mostly in the area of young families. This has caused numerous expenses immediate and in the near future, road repairs, school overcrowding, sewer treatment plant upgrades, water towers and yes the library.

What am I getting at? One word. Retiree's.

Retiree's don't need 1500 sq ft with another 1100 sq ft of finished basement. Retiree's don't have kid's to send to school. Retiree's don't need a large yard with a play set. Retiree's don't need the tax burden of a 1500 sq ft + house. Retiree's don't take showers. (Just seeing if your paying attention).

I propose a 50+ community full of 1200 sq ft houses. I would even give them a break on the school taxes.

You people are so short sighted. Not everyone has 2.6 kids, a dog and a picket fence.

Hey Bill, I do not consider my 1500 sq ft home to be small pretty sure my neighbors don't think theirs are either.






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate Bill's "whining." He's right. We have more than enough 1200 sq ft homes here -- and a lot more smaller than that. Smaller than that and you're talking apartment-size, so get an apartment. Better yet, put up another trailer park. How big/small are trailers?

We had a 1200 sq foot home and it was WAAAYYYYY too small. We added on another 800 square foot, and I don't think it could be considered big by any means (that doesn't include any part of the basement.)

Yes, I am getting close to retirement. One day my home may be too big. So now I am thinking of buying one of these smaller houses that already exist and start fixing it up NOW and renting it out in the meantime. When you are elderly, you want to be in the heart of the town anyway, not out in the burbs of Evansville where you have to drive everywhere. There's lot of small houses near the downtown now.

Think about this. If homes bigger than 1500-2000 sq foot are built, that will help with the tax base. Your taxes won't go down, but they may not go up quite as high as fast. Plus, people building bigger houses usually have kids who are older, and won't add the burden to the school district, causing yet another school to be built. Keep allowing 1200 square foot "starter" homes and you're going to get "starter" families who will add to school growth.

Why did they even waste their time making the ordinance? It means nothing. Perhaps that's why the mayor needs a raise, so she can keep coming up with these ordinances that don't mean a thing such as
-house size
-referendums.
Two wastes of Ald, Mayor, Administrators and citizens time in the last month.

Anonymous said...

To Anon. # 1. Point made. It is a waste of time . (The market is really going to determine what sizes of houses, with which amenities, get built.) So why does Bill put up one post after another on this subject, and why do you spend 5 paragraphs on it?

Rex said...

Just another point. My "starter" home is roughly 1500 sq ft with another 1100 or so in finished exposed basement space. That's 2600 sq ft. By no means small. I could not have afforded a 2600 sq ft home at the time I built it but I had the option to do so at a later date.

Both sides won. I could afford my home & The City gets it's tax money on the back end. But........ I decided not the city.

Anonymous said...

Look over at the Observer. He's whining AGAIN!

Anonymous said...

I don't see what jeff is doing anything other than whining.

No different, no better.